I just adore this picture of us. Newly married and our whole lives together ahead of us. And what a life it has been so far! We were married 17 years ago today. Seventeen years! In honor of this day, and the man I love, seventeen reasons why I love him.
1. He is my best friend.
2. He loves animals. I had never seen this man cry – until we lost a pet. Underneath that gruff exterior is a kind, gentle soul who’s happiest with one of the cats at his side.
3. He is thoughtful and takes great pride in tackling small projects around the house just to make my life easier…
– like hanging a hook rack for my beloved collection of aprons.
4. He doesn’t “put up with” my family…he loves them.
5. He gave me the greatest joys in my life –
My two sons. And he is the best dad. He works so hard to provide for his family but then rushes home to us each day, going in early in the morning so that he can get home all the earlier to spend time with the family.
6. He lights the candles when I forget. I cherish every night that we sit down at our dinner table as a family, candles lit, music playing, and with no interruptions, as we share a meal and so much more. And it means even more to me that it’s important to him too.
7. He encourages me to do what I am passionate about.
8. He considers these his –
That’s right, he does ALL the laundry…and cleans the catbox, and grocery shops, and dusts, and cleans dishes, and makes coffee every night…No need for “honey-do” lists in this house! (Except maybe for the ones he makes for me.)
9. He remembers things. Like the date we got engaged, and what I was wearing when he was first smitten with me. (And I love him because he still likes me in a tank top ;-))
10. After all these years, he’s still hot! Even without the 80’s rainbow suspenders…
11. He dubbed me KristinPotPie but that’s another post altogether (and I won’t embarrass myself with listing all the other names he has for me.)
12. He doesn’t call me 50 times when I am out and about without him. But he does call me everyday when he is out of town.
13. He loves me and tells me so. Every day.
14. After all these years I still enjoy talking with him. And he listens intently to me go on about things like my job, family, kids, and the crazy lady at the grocery store…
15. He is handy. As an architect, he has put his talent, sweat, and love into remodeling our 1930’s home for the last two years so that our family could have a nicer to place to live – and look what I got-
Guess which closet is mine?
16. He whistles and hums Christmas tunes year-round. While somewhat annoying at times, I guess we all love to hate the little things our spouses do.
17. If you asked him, he wouldn’t be able to tell you what his favorite dish is that I cook. But I do know that this is one of his favorites and it’s hot and spicy – just like him!
Spicy Prawns with Pasta
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- juice of half a lemon
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese
Heat fry pan over med-high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Once butter is melted add onions and garlic. Saute onions and garlic until they start to brown, then add Italian seasoning, parsley, lemon pepper, chili flakes and chili powder. Saute for one minute. Add prawns and squeeze juice from half a lemon over them. Toss and cook until prawns are just cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta of your choice and sprinkle cheese over the top.
It’s not all been cake, champagne and roses. But when you love each other as much as we do, you work at it. And you get better. Together.
Happy Anniversary honey! I love you 🙂