Alexandra Hedin, Arboretum Foundation, Chukar Cherries, Cougar Mountain Baking Co., Debra Prinzing, Gifts & Greens Galore, S & J Wreaths, The Terrarium Shop, Washington Park Arboretum, Zoka Coffee Roasters
Are you getting all ready for the holidays? I am so grateful that Thanksgiving was early this year and we have a bit more time to prepare everything. I have much decorating and shopping to go before I am even close!
Some of the things that I love so much about the holidays are decorating with greens (and bringing the fresh smell of the outdoors inside!) and shopping for gifts – unique, handcrafted and local items top my list.
That’s why I am bursting at the seams to tell you about this fantastic event I have been working on for months!
Next Friday and Saturday, the Arboretum Foundation’s beloved holiday sale, Gifts & Greens Galore, returns! It will be held at the Graham Visitors Center at Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, on Friday, December 7, from 12 to 5 p.m., and Saturday, December 8, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Gifts & Greens Galore will showcase the Arboretum Shop, which sells an excellent selection of gardening and nature books, plant-themed jewelry, tools for green thumbs, and much more. And, just for the sale, there are some very special seasonal items and holiday gifts to be highlighted, including:
- Unique, handcrafted holiday gifts from local artisans
- Botanical holiday ornaments from Michael Michaud
- Terrarium kits from local Etsy artist, Sue Mariotti – including Terrarium ornaments for your tree – what a great hostess gift these would make!
- Handmade gift cards and specimen prints from the Hyde Herbarium
- Chukar Cherries gift boxes featuring local fruits
- Arboretum honey
- Arboretum Blend Coffee from Zoka Coffee Roasters
- And much more!
For ready-to-go decorating needs, this fundraising sale offers a one-of-a-kind selection of eco-friendly botanical decorations, including locally sourced and sustainably harvested wreaths, swags, and garlands S & J Wreaths in Shelton. There will also be centerpieces, candle holders, dried hydrangea wreaths, and bird balls (these sell out so fast!) all lovingly crafted by Arboretum Foundation volunteers.
OR, if you are all about DIY and making your own holiday decorations, there will also be a great selection of bulk and fresh-cut greens that you won’t find anywhere else (you also won’t find these cut greens prices anywhere else!) including some very special, gorgeous (and non-invasive!) holly.
The cut greens are pruned from plants in the Arboretum and donated to the sale by area gardeners*.
How cool is that!
NEW this year – If you need a little inspiration for how to use all those wonderful greens you will be snatching up at this sale, we’ll be featuring lots of DIY demonstrations and craft activities throughout the two-day event:
- On Friday at 1 p.m., author and outdoor living expert Debra Prinzing will show shoppers how to create beautiful holiday centerpieces using seasonal, locally grown materials;
- Northwest lifestyle and entertaining expert Alexandra Hedin will give a demo on Saturday at 11 a.m. about unique ways fresh greens can be used for the holidays;
- Sue Mariotti of The Terrarium Shop on Etsy will show you how to build a terrarium (so hot right now – and perfect for gift giving!) on Friday, from 2 to 4 p.m., and Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
- Foundation volunteer craft specialists will be on hand to personally assist you in picking out greens and showing creative uses for them;
- Educators from UW Botanic Gardens will also host show-and-tell activities during the event from 12- 3 pm each day.
Our new self-serve coffee bar, stocked by Zoka Coffee Roasters and featuring the delicious Arboretum Blend, will also have it’s grand opening at this year’s Gifts & Greens Galore! And to celebrate, you will enjoy complimentary holiday refreshments, including cookies donated by Cougar Mountain Baking Company (while supplies last) and Zoka Arboretum Blend coffee.
Parking and admission at the event are free and all sales benefit the maintenance and education programs at Washington Park Arboretum – so you can feel really good about spending your green at this sale!
*If you are pruning your yard this week and would like to donate your greens to the sale, we will be accepting donations next Monday – Thursday from 10 am – 3 pm. Read here for more info.