Sunday is the Big Game! Who are you rooting for?
I do love to watch football, but personally I care more about the great food than who wins the game. This is the Superbowl after all! What do you look forward to the most? The game, the food? Or the commercials? 😉
While I am planning what I will bring to our family gathering this year I wanted to share with you some great menu ideas from Whole Foods Market for your football party.
To kick things off Whole Foods Market has made entertaining easy on you with their chicken wings sale! From February 1-3 check out 54 oz. buckets of buffalo or BBQ chicken wings on sale for only $7.99.
These wings come from chickens raised without antibiotics, added hormones, or animal byproducts in their feed. They also come from farms certified to Global Animal Partnership’s 5-Step™ Animal Welfare Rating program.
Want to whip something up to impress the crowd? Score major points with these winning recipes:
- Slow-cooked pulled pork sandwiches – try Wellshire Farms or Niman Ranch’s pre-pulled pork.
- Ribs. Beef or pork, country-style or classic. Two crowd-pleasing recipes to try: spice-rubbed beef short ribs and Asian-style baby back ribs.
- Spicy Beef Chili – this is a traditional recipe, but guests will be big fans of any of these variations made with bison or turkey. Be sure to leave plenty of time for your chili to simmer so that all the flavors can meld. You can even cook it a day ahead to save time and it will taste even better the next day!
And for those of you who are trying to stick to a healthy eating New Year’s resolution, some game day food on the lighter side:
- Ditch those oily chips and fatty dips, and serve up some Edamame Guacamole or Nutty Red Pepper and Basil Dip with fresh veggies or make your own Cheesy Kale Chips for a nutrient-packed, crunchy snack.
- Revamp the classic salsa and hummus, with healthful alternatives such as Black Bean Hummus or Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- Offer a smart alternative to personal pan-pizza with Engine 2’s Plant-Strong Tortilla Hummus Pizzas
- Entertain your whole sideline with Pita Chips with Sweet Potato Mash and Smoked Almonds
- Put your own twist on a traditional game day dish by serving up protein-packed Lentil Chili, Bison Chili or Turkey Sloppy Janes.
What are cooking up for Sunday’s big game?
All photos used courtesy of Whole Foods Market.