Recently I had the opportunity to taste some of the best of Seattle while attending the Seattle Weekly’s Voracious Tasting & Food Awards at the Paramount Theatre.
Like this delicious Summer Punch made with Milagro Tequila – from Liberty, a neighborhood bar on Capitol Hill with an expansive liquor menu and scratch cocktails. Each and every cocktail at Liberty is made to order with fresh juice.
I adore coconut, and the Almond Joy panna cotta from the Collections Cafe at Chihuly Garden and Glass did not disappoint.
And doughnuts! But not just any doughnuts. Mighty-O Donuts!
There was even a whole lineup of mobile food choices on the street outside the event.
Back inside the theatre, I tried some seriously tasty items from the local restaurants represented that evening. Here are my five favorite savory restaurant bites from the Voracious event:
1. La Bodega – This gluten-free sweet potato empanada from La Bodega, a “Dominican Food Shop” in Pioneer Square, is made with yucca dough, filled with deliciousness and fried to perfection.
2. Barrio Mexican Kitchen & Bar – Perfect for the warmer weather ahead – or anytime really – this Chipotle Prawn Salad with roasted corn aoli and avocado moussel from Barrio Mexican Kitchen & Bar on Capitol Hill was light but filled with flavor.
3. Poquitos – These Beef Shank Tacos made with three chili salsa, diced onion and cilantro from Poquitos on Capitol Hill further fed my love for Mexican food.
4. Pintxo – Manchego salad with micro greens from Pintxo in Belltown, a modern Spanish Tapas Bar featuring Spanish inspired tapas and a vast selection of hand-crafted specialty cocktails. The menu at Pintxo focuses on the flavors of Spain utilizing fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
5. Miller’s Guild – My favorite bite of the night were these delicious steak bites from Miller’s Guild. Located in the historic Hotel Max, Miller’s Guild is built around a nine-foot-long, custom-made wood-fired grill. James Beard Award-winning chef Jason Wilson has crafted a menu featuring 75-day dry-aged beef, nose-to-tail butchery, and rustic baked goods.